I am ordering a few things for Christmas gifts that I probably would not be able to find around here, but I’m hoping to do a lot of shopping locally as well. This year I am really focusing on limited and simple gifts that help local business and don’t produce too much waste (packaging, shipping from far off lands, etc.).
Local (mostly Auburn, NY) items that often end up on my shopping list for Christmas gifts:
- Gift certificates for Springside Inn (now has Oak & Vine Restaurant)
- Gift certificates for Balloons Restaurant
- Gift certificates for Sunset Restaurant
- Cosentino’s Florist: Fudge
- Cameron’s Bakery: Italian cookies & donuts
- Downtown Books: Children’s books
- Owasco Wines & Liquors: Wine
Even if you don’t live in my area, your town should have bakeries, florists, restaurants, wine shops, etc. This is a great time of year to give them business. I prefer to give gifts that can be consumed (food/drink) or that are experiential (gift certificates for movies/restaurants), but for kids I do give books, clothes, and toys.